Think of it like a 10,000 steps a day challenge.
We hope you love the items below as much as we did! GateHouse Media may collect a share of sales from links on this page.
With an intriguing acronym and a twist on calorie counting, IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) is a current diet craze. SELF last January explained IIFYM as counting micronutrients (macros) with the goal of consuming daily the same amount of each: fats, carbohydrates, protein.
Think of it like a 10,000 steps a day challenge. In fact, devices like the Fitbit and apps such as MyFitnessPal can help keep track of daily-allotted macros.
Various factors determine an individual’s macros numbers. Particulars involve current intake needs, activity level and desired weight. Medicalnewstoday.com in November offered formulas for determining macros targets. SELF reported that the average IIFYM diet has an individual consuming 40 to 50 percent of calories from healthy carbs (like whole grains and fresh fruits and vegetables), 25 to 30 percent from protein and the remainder from healthy fats (olive oil, fish, nuts).
As with any diet, there are pros and cons. SELF share these cautions:
- Numbers-based eating plans are not for everyone; check with a physician, nutritionist or registered dietician before starting the diet.
- Online IIFYM diet templates may not be sanctioned by professionals.
- IIFYM is not a magic weight-loss solution: “It follows the same calories-in, calories-out principle as all successful weight-maintenance and weight-loss diets.”
The main upside to IIFYM, says medicalnewstoday.com, is its flexibility: “It is advertised as a more flexible dieting style because it incorporates more foods than many other diets.”
- IIFYM encourages two nutritional categories historically shunned by dieters: carbs and fats.
- Meals are more enjoyable because of the inclusion of so many diverse foods.
- There is a greater likelihood of IIFYM becoming a lifestyle rather than a passing fad.
IIFYM.com has a “Learn Your Macros” survey. (Disclaimer: There is a required box to check to sign up for emails, etc.) The site also answers myriad standard IIFYM inquiries, such as: is alcohol a consideration in the macros count?
IIFYM appeals primarily for its simplicity. Eat whatever — as long as the numbers add up.