Click the link below to go to this week’s 5 Things, which includes items on “John Carter,” Johnny Appleseed and Girl Scouts. Or check out these other links.
- The big new movies this week are “John Carter,” a PG-13 superhero-type movie; “Salmon Fishing in the Yemen,” a PG-13 romantic comedy; “A Thousand Words,” a PG-13 comedy starring Eddie Murphy; and “Friends with Kids,” an R comedy.
- Time springs forward early Sunday morning, and you can have fun with it by making a game of changing all the clocks and changing the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. You can also plan some spring-themed events - winter is almost over!
- Sunday is Johnny Appleseed Day, a day to celebrate Johnny and apples. You could grab some apples and other supplies and make some apple-based delights (such as apple pie). You can also find Johnny Appleseed and apple-related kids activities on the Web. And be sure to check out if your library is doing anything special this weekend.
- This weekend is Selection Sunday, the day when the NCAA tournament field is set. The selection show airs on CBS at 6 p.m. EDT, and you can start filling out your brackets soon thereafter.
- Monday is the 100th birthday of the Girl Scouts, and a week of celebrations begins on Sunday, which is Girl Scout Sunday and the beginning of Girl Scout Week. Check your local chapter for activities.
GateHouse News Service