The blaze caused about $2,500 in damage

A Milford apartment kitchen fire that sent a woman to the hospital was caused by unattended cooking, Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael G. Chionchio said Tuesday.

The blaze occurred at about 3 p.m. May 14 at a residence in the Mispillion Apartments in the 1000 block of South Walnut St.

Firefighters arrived on the scene with smoke pouring out of a second-floor apartment, and a 30-year-old woman was taken to Bayhealth Hospital’s Sussex Campus for treatment of smoke inhalation, Chionchio said. Her condition was not considered serious

State fire marshal deputies determined the fire began on the stovetop when grease was left heating on the stove without supervision. The grease erupted into flames and burned out the kitchen.

Fire damage was estimated at $2,500.  The apartment’s smoke alarm activated as did the building’s fire alarm system when the fire alarm pull station was activated signaling a fire to the other residents, Chionchio said.