Members of the Maryland State Assault Team Element arrested 28-year-old Brooks S. Perry following a stand-off that began late Wednesday night after Perry allegedly fired a gun at state troopers.

Members of the Maryland State Assault Team Element arrested 28-year-old Brooks S. Perry following a stand-off that began late Wednesday night after Perry allegedly fired a gun at state troopers.

Perry, whose last known address was Milford, according to Maryland State Police, was located on March 13 in an area of high marsh grass along Glebe Creek Road in Easton, five miles from the shooting incident. Officers used a bullhorn to inform Perry that he was surrounded by police. Perry walked out of the grassy area and was arrested without incident.

Perry was transported to the Easton Barrack for processing, where he was charged with two counts of attempted first-degree murder, two counts of attempted second-degree murder, two counts of first-degree assault, two counts of second-degree assault, two counts of reckless endangerment, two counts of use of a firearm in the commission of a felony/violent crime and one count of fraudulent personal identification to avoid prosecution.

Around 11:30 p.m. March 12, a Maryland State Police Easton Barrack officer stopped a dark-colored Hyundai on eastbound U.S. Route 50 after seeing the vehicle speeding on Md. Route 404, said police spokesman Gregory Shipley.

Upon contacting Perry, who was operating the vehicle, Perry provided the officer with a false name and claimed he had no identification. While contacting the driver, the officer detected signs that Perry was possibly driving under the influence, Shipley said.

The trooper ordered Perry to remain in the car while he called for backup due to Perry’ suspicious behavior, which included questioning whether or not the officer was going to call for backup, Shipley said.

Before backup arrived at the scene, Perry fled from the traffic stop. A seven-mile chase occurred on eastbound U.S. Route 50 until Perry pulled over east of Hiners Lane, fled on foot across U.S. Route 50 and onto the grounds of a golf course, Shipley said.

Four state troopers chased Perry on foot. During the pursuit Perry climbed a chain-link fence, pulled a gun and fired toward the officers when he reached the top of the fence. Shots were returned by Cpl. Joshua Resh, but police found no evidence that the suspect was struck by the gunfire. No state troopers were shot, Shipley said.

Procedure concerning police-involved shootings requires Resh to be placed on administrative leave. The Maryland State Police Homicide Unit is also conducting an investigation, and there will be an administrative investigation by the Internal Affairs Unit as well.

Perry managed to climb down the other side of the fence and flee the area, Shipley said.

Police established a perimeter and began a search of the area, implementing K-9 units and a state police helicopter. Police officers, troopers, deputies and agents from the Maryland State Police, Natural Resources Police, FBI, Talbot County Sheriff’s Office, Centreville Police Department, Easton Police Department, Ridgely Police Department, Cambridge Police Department, Anne Arundel County Police, Caroline County Sheriff’s Office, Queen Anne’s County Sheriff’s Office and others maintained the search from the time of the incident Wednesday night until Perry’s arrest Thursday afternoon.

Residents in the area were informed of the incident with a reverse 911 call and U.S. Route 50 was closed for several hours during the search and subsequent investigation, Shipley said.

Tips from citizens in the area also assisted police in determining Perry’s exact location. A state police helicopter’s infra-red camera confirmed a heat source in the high marsh grass area and Maryland State Police Aviation Command crews maintained aerial presence in the area until Perry’s arrest, Shipley said.

Police have not yet located the gun used to fire shots at troopers and state police crime scene technicians and investigators. Police are continuing their investigation of the incident.

Perry also faces multiple traffic charges including fleeing and eluding and driving on a suspended license. He will be transported to the Talbot County Detention Center for an initial appearance before a court commissioner, according to police spokesman Gregory Shipley.