The blaze was reported at 11:40 a.m. today, Jan. 17, by a neighbor in the unit block of Skinner Lane just south of Felton.

No people were hurt but four dogs died in a house fire near Felton today, Jan. 17.

Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal B. Scott Bullock said the fire was accidental. It started in a bedroom of the manufactured home and was caused by combustible materials too close to an electric space heater, he said.

The blaze was reported at 11:40 a.m. by a neighbor in the unit block of Skinner Lane just south of Felton. The Felton Community Fire Company along with the Harrington Fire Company and Kent County emergency medical services responded.

When emergency crews arrived, they saw smoke and fire coming from the home.

No one was home at the time of the fire, but four dogs were found deceased inside, Bullock said.

The fire was placed under control at around 12:20 p.m. No firefighters or emergency medical services personnel were injured.

The Red Cross of Delmarva is assisting the victims.

Damages are estimated at $35,000, Bullock said.