Delaware hunters will start their 2017-18 hunting season Sept. 1 with the opening of archery and crossbow deer season and mourning dove and resident Canada goose seasons on private lands and state wildlife areas.

The Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control’s Division of Fish & Wildlife offers early-season hunting opportunities on state wildlife areas, with details and rules for hunting on them. Hunters can start adding teal to their bag Sept. 8 when the special September teal season opens. Gray squirrel season will open Sept. 15.

Seasons opening in September, with dates and hunting hours listed, are:

— Doves: Sept. 1-30, half-hour before sunrise to sunset.

— Resident Canada geese: Sept. 1-25, half-hour before sunrise to sunset.

— Teal: Sept. 8-26, half-hour before sunrise to sunset.

— Archery and crossbow deer: Sept. 1-Jan. 31, 2018.

— Gray squirrel: Sept. 15-Feb. 3, 2018.

Non-toxic shot must be used for dove hunting on state wildlife areas during the month of September.

To hunt migratory game birds in Delaware, a Delaware hunting license or license exempt number is required, with waterfowl hunters age 16-64 also required to purchase a state waterfowl stamp. Teal, dove and goose hunters also will need a Federal Harvest Information Program number. To register for a HIP number or LEN number, call 855-335-4868 or visit

New this year, registered motor vehicles used to access designated public lands owned or managed by the Division of Fish & Wildlife are required to display a conservation access pass. Hunters can opt to receive one free annual vehicle pass with the purchase of any Delaware hunting license. To obtain a free CAP, or to purchase an additional pass, hunters will need to have the registration card for the vehicle to which the pass will be assigned.

Delaware hunting licenses, state waterfowl stamps and conservation access passes can be purchased at; at the license desk in DNREC’s Dover office, 89 Kings Highway, Dover; or from hunting license dealers statewide. For hunters age 16 and older, a federal migratory bird hunting stamp also is required to hunt teal and geese; federal stamps are available at U.S. Post Office.

For more, call 739-9912.