Milford Beacon
  • Georgetown man leads police on two-hour high speed chase through Sussex Co.

  • A 45-year-old Georgetown man was arrested Dec. 4 after he led police on a two-hour high speed chase through Sussex County.
    • email print
  • A 45-year-old Georgetown man was arrested Dec. 4 after he led police on a two-hour high speed chase through Sussex County.
    According to the Georgetown Police Department, Jorge Vasquez has been charged with reckless endangering, resisting arrest, failure to stop on command of a police officer and other traffic charges.
    Police said around 11:55 a.m., officers were summoned to KFC/Taco Bell in the Georgetown Plaza on U.S. Route 113 for a possible domestic assault. Police were advised that someone operating a silver Nissan Altima was attempting to run over a female subject. Police were also advised that a male subject attempted to help the female victim and the driver attempted to run him over, too.
    Police said they located the Altima traveling east on Trap Pond Road. Police initiated a traffic stop to question the driver about the incident; however the driver sped off, leading officers on a vehicle pursuit that lasted almost two hours.
    Police said the pursuit went south on U.S. Route 113 through Millsboro and Dagsboro, continuing on State Route 26 to Millville, Roxanna and Selbyville. Police said the driver then turned onto State Route 54 eastbound and continued to Fenwick Island, turning north onto State Route 1. Police said the pursuit continued through South Bethany, Bethany Beach and Dewey Beach. Police said the driver then headed west toward the Rehoboth Beach Yacht and Country Club and drove through part of the golf course. Police said the driver then headed back out onto State Route 1 and continued north through Rehoboth Beach and Lewes. Police said the driver continued north until units from the Delaware State Police were able to box the vehicle in and get it to stop in the area of the Route 1 bypass in Milford.
    Police said Vasquez was the only subject in the vehicle and, during the pursuit he drove toward several officers from different jurisdictions as he attempted to evade spike strips.
    When GPD officers returned to the Georgetown Plaza, the alleged victims from the original call had left the scene and their whereabouts are unknown at this time. Anyone with information on these subjects is asked to contact police at (302) 856-6613.
    Police said the investigation is ongoing and additional charges are pending against Vasquez from the original complaint and the vehicle pursuit.
Terms of Service

    Events Calendar