Want to give yoga a try, but not ready to take your workout public? Try this series of yoga poses from Anna Guest-Jelly, the creator of Curvy Yoga.
Standing Forward Bend
- Stand with your feet a comfortable distance apart.
- Inhale, raising arms above your head, palms facing each other.
- Exhale, bend your knees and begin to gently fold forward as far as is available to you.
- Hands can come to the thighs, shins, to a block (or two – one under each hand on any of their three heights) or to the floor. Stay here for 3 breaths, working your legs towards straight as you hold.
- If your belly feels compressed here, step your feet wider and/or come back up for a moment, bring your hands to your low belly and tuck the skin towards the pelvis before folding back down.
- On your next inhale, come back up with arms overhead. Exhale back to standing.
- Begin standing near the back of your mat with your feet a comfortable distance apart.
- Turn your left toes out about 30 degrees to the left.
- Step your right foot forward a comfortable distance and bring your hands to your hips.
- Inhale and bend through your right knee, making sure your knee is tracking in line with your 2nd toe. If you’re bending far past your ankle, scoot your foot forward a bit until you’re not.
- Exhale and straighten your leg back to the starting position.
- Repeat moving on the breath 2 more times, using this as an opportunity to learn more about what your knee needs today.
- After this, on your next inhale, bend again through the right knee. Instead of moving dynamically, though, hold here for several breaths.
- When you’re ready to come out, step the back foot forward to meet the front foot. Then walk to the back of your mat to do the other side.
Brought to you by: Spry