Start your spring season off on the right foot with these safety tips!
We may be battling winter temperatures, but spring sports season is just around the corner. As you (or your athlete) gear up for another season, take some time to focus on foot safety – no matter what the sport, it’s a pretty important part of your performance.
The athletic training team at ATI Physical Therapy suggests these five tips to start your season off on the right foot:
1. Wear proper footwear. Be sure you’re wearing shoes that are right for your sport (track shoes for runners, cleats for baseball players, etc.) to help minimize the risk of injury. It’s also important that these shoes fit well and are in good shape…if they took a beating last season, it’s time to invest in some new ones.
2. Replace shoes as needed. For runners, it’s recommended that you replace shoes every 300 to 500 miles. If you need new shoes, it’s best to get them at the beginning of the season so that you can break them in before games and races begin.
3. Warm up properly. It’s important that you begin a workout with some dynamic stretches to get your body going and ready for exercise.
4. Cross train. Continually doing the same thing day after day can negatively impact your feet (and other parts of your body). Therefore, switch up your activities to work different muscles.
5. Avoid overtraining. Especially as you head into a new season, avoid overworking yourself which puts you at risk for injury.