Two Milford residents managed to escape a house fire without injury Wednesday night, thanks to the assistance of some good Samaritans, according the state fire marshal’s office.


Two Milford residents managed to escape a house fire without injury Wednesday night, thanks to the assistance of some good Samaritans, according the state fire marshal’s office.

When firefighters arrived at the burning two-story home in the 500 block of South Washington Street after 7:15 p.m., people from the nearby Milford Little League had already helped the occupants to safety, reported Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal B. Scott Bullock.

Firefighters from Carlisle Fire Company of Milford and other fire companies managed to extinguish the blaze, which caused an estimated $125,000 in damage, according to a release issued by the state fire marshal’s office.

One firefighter suffered a heat-related injury while battling the fire and was taken to Milford Memorial Hospital, Bullock said.

The Red Cross is assisting the occupants of the home.

Bullock said deputy fire marshals have determined that a faulty extension cord in a second-floor storage room caused the blaze, which was ruled an accident.

No additional details about the incident were available as of Thursday afternoon.