This week’s suggestions include watching “Green Lantern” or “Mr. Popper’s Penguins”; celebrating Father’s Day; and getting ready for summer.
1. The big movies opening this week are “Green Lantern,” a PG-13 superhero movie starring Ryan Reynolds; and “Mr. Popper's Penguins,” a PG film based on the book of the same name and starring Jim Carrey.
2. Thursday was Bloomsday, a holiday that has become a sort of St. Patrick’s Day 2, and many Irish pubs will be celebrating all weekend long. The holiday is based on James Joyce’s novel “Ulysses” and its main character, Leopold Bloom. If there aren’t any public gatherings planned, why not hold your own Irish fest?
3. Sunday is Father’s Day, so don’t forget to get Dad something special! If you can’t think of any gift ideas, take Dad out on his special day to do something he loves (e.g., a ballgame or hiking).
4. Also on Sunday is Juneteenth, a day that celebrates the end of slavery. The majority of states now officially recognize the holiday, and many towns will be holding special events. Check the newspaper for listings.
5. Summer officially begins Tuesday, and if you haven’t made any summer-break plans yet, now is the time to do so. And along with the beginning of summer is the beginning of the Wimbledon Championships – the tournament begins Monday, so set your Tivos.
GateHouse News Service